Where are we

Maglieria Contigiani Maria & c snc is located in Gualdo Tadino, a small medieval town of 15.834 people in the province of Perugia. Situated on the north eastern part of Umbria, its mainly mountainous territory faces a large plain and the green hills spreading out towards Assisi. Its original name was Tarsina but once annexed to Rome it changed its name in Tadinum. As a Roman municipium of 13 hectares sq. m. brought to light by archeological excavations, it became a prosperous town thanks to the closeness to the Via Flaminia. It was Alarico, king of Huns, who first sacked and destroyed it just like other towns situated along the Via Flaminia.

It was an episcopal seat in the fourth century. Its most famous bishops were Saint Facondino, Saint Gaudenzio and Saint Martino. In its territory the battle between the byzantine general Narses and the Goths of Totila took place. Totila was wounded and died near Capras,today Caprara. This war marked the end of Goth domination in Italy.

In 995 under the Emperor Otto III, the town was definitively destroyed. It took the Lombard name Gualdo(wooded place) and its inhabitants took refuge in Val di Gorgo down the slopes of Mount Serrasanta. It was destroyed by a violent fire and rebuilt in 1237 near the Abbey of Saint Benedict with the white stones of its mountains, on a Hill of St. Angel, the patron saint of Lombards, on which the modern town is situated, overlooked by the Rocca Flea. At the time of Frederick II, Gualdo rallied to his side. Sought after by Perugia and Gubbio, it was subject to rule by Perugia before being incorporated in the State of the Church by Jacopo P. Canino.(1458)

On 27th July 1751 Gualdo was seriously damaged by an earthquake which destroyed most of its features. Only some beautiful buildings and churches such as Santa Maria da Tadino ( today Santa Chiara), San Benedetto, San Francesco remained intact. At present the Rocca Flea hosts an amazing museum rich in paintings and furnishings .Inside you can admire artworks of two of the most important local artists: Niccolo di Liberatore known as Alunno with his "Polittico" of the fifteen century and Matteo da Gualdo, an eclectic artist of the end of 1400.Pope Gregory XVI granted the title of city, adding to "Gualdo" (Waldum)the ancient name of "Tadino” (Tadinum) .Then the town was annexed to the State of the Church until the Unification of Italy in 1861.

Monuments

- The Rocca Flea (XII century) , ancient medieval military fortress
- The Church of san Francesco (XIV century) with Matteo da Gualdo’s paintings
- The Church of Santa Chiara(XIII century). The Palazzo of Podesta and the Torre Civica
- The cathedral of San Benedetto(XIII century) with an outdoor fountain(XVI century) attributed to Sangallo il Vecchio
- The parish Church of Santa Chiara in Pieve di Compresseto(XI century)
- The Pinacoteca( the town art gallery) which hosts artworks of Matteo da Gualdo, Avanzino Nucci, Sano di Pietro, Antonio da Fabriano, ecc.
- Regional Museum of Emigration
- Archealogical excavations of Roman Tadinum

Gualdo Tadino and its economy

Gualdo Tadino is well-known as the town of Ceramics, which marks its economic and artistic identity. The “Concorso internazionale della Ceramica “ which has taken place over past years, with the participation of artists from all over the world, has allowed the town to obtain a valuable collection which consists of over 100 artworks. They are a significant representation of the modern artistic research in this field. Gualdo is also famous all over the world thanks to its mountain springs and in particular to the healing and diuretic characteristics of the local Rocchetta mineral water.

The “Giochi de le Porte”

During the last weekend of September, the town celebrates its traditional games, the "Giochi de le Porte", a spectacular medieval contest, where the four town quarters, San Benedetto, San Martino, San Facondino e San Donato compete for a winning banner portraying St. Michael the Archangel. The whole town enthusiastically takes part in the preparations for this festival, recreating the medieval atmosphere using the coloured flags of the quarters.. The historical pageant is particularly impressive with its different characters in medieval costumes made by the local artisans throughout the year. The festival lasts three days. In the first two there are parades and exhibitions with flag-flyers and drummers, whereas on Sunday the competition takes place: shooting with bows and slings, contests of bare-back riding and donkey-cart racing. The most exciting part of the competition is the final one when the winners burn a huge effigy representing the “Bastola” , the legendary enemy of Gualdo Tadino. The four traditional taverns are open from Friday to Sunday, where you can taste delicious local specialties and drink good wine.

How to reach us

Via Sabbatini G. Verdi
06023, Gualdo Tadino (PG)